Correct answers are in Bold and Underlined with comments in parenthesis
1 Which of the following local professional organisations is the oldest in Singapore?
- Alumni Association
- Singapore Medical Association
- Academy of Medicine Singapore
- Singapore Medical Council
2 Which of the following is FALSE about Yong Nen Kiong (“NK Yong”)
- He is the longest serving President of SMA
- He writes a weekly cardiac health column for the Business Times ( he writes a wine column)
- He performed the first open heart surgery in Singapore in 1965
- He performed the first open heart surgery in Malaysia in 1969
3 Who was the “Agong” of Alumni Association?
- Arthur Lim
- Chee Phui Hung
- Chao Tzee Cheng
- WC Cheng
4 Which of the following about LMS is TRUE?
- It was a four-year course and was issued by the KE VII College of Medicine
- Originally, a LMS graduate was not allowed to take fellowship degrees in UK (i.e. cannot specialise)
- It stands for Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery and is a recognised basic medical qualification by SMC
- All of the above
5 Which of the following is the odd one out in terms of place of origin?
- Soo Khee Chee
- Foo Keong Tat
- Kandiah Satku (He is from KL/Klang, the others are from Penang)
- Tan Seang Beng
6 Which of the following doctors was a paediatric trainee once?
- Ho Ching Lin (ophthalmology)
- William Chew (endocrinology)
- Lee Wei Ling (neurology)
- All of the above
7 Who was the first local Professor of General Surgery?
- Jimmy Choo Jim Eng
- Yeoh Ghim Seng
- Foong Weng Cheong
- Ong Siew Chey
8 Which of the following about KKH is FALSE?
- It once held the (Guinness Book of World Records) record for the busiest obstetric hospital in the world
- Was the first hospital in Singapore to perform successfully a IVF procedure using frozen embryos (done in NUH)
- The current hospital stands on a cemetery site and the original address of this site is called 1 Jalan Cemetery
- It is the first and only public hospital to house a McDonalds fast food restaurant in Singapore
9 Which of the following passed the Part 1 exams of all 3: FRCS, MRCP and MRCOG?
- Ng Han Seong
- Benjamin Ong
- Fock Kwong Ming
- Chee Yam Cheng
10 In YLLSOM, there is a Wong Niap Leng Medical Bursary; who is Wong Niap Leng?
- He is/was a Professor of Medicine
- He is/was a Dean
- He was the first person who performed liver transplant in Singapore
- He was the canteen operator of the canteen in KE VII Hall in Sepoy Lines
11 Politically speaking, which of the following is the odd one out?
- Tan Sze Wee
- Chia Shi-Lu (He is an elected MP, the rest were Nominated MPs)
- Benedict Tan
- Kanwaljit Soin
12 Which of the following is FALSE about Tan Chorh Chuan?
- He was Dean of Medicine and DMS
- He is an accomplished poet and has published an anthology of poetry 3 years ago (He is an accomplished Chinese art painter, not poet)
- He used to be orientation chairman of KEVII Hall (i.e. chief ragger)
- He played hockey in KEVII Hall as a block fellow after he graduated
13 Which of the following is FALSE regarding Poh Soo Kai?
- He was the first Honorary Secretary of SMA and a founding member of the PAP
- He was detained under the ISA for a total of 17 years over two spells
- He was released from detention after he confessed to being a Communist (He never confessed to being a Communist)
- He was a grandson of the philanthropist Tan Kah Kee and a relative of philanthropist Lee Kong Chian
14 How much did Arthur Lim take home as the founding director of SNEC?
- $1,000 a month
- $10,000 a month
- $20,000 a month
- $0 a month
15 The first national specialty centre to be set up in Singapore was
- National Heart Centre Singapore
- National Skin Centre
- Singapore National Eye Centre
- National Cancer Centre Singapore
16 Which of the following funded a big part of his undergraduate medical education in Singapore by winning a lottery (i.e. 4D)?
- Yeoh Khay Guan
- Goh Lee Gan
- Teo Eng Kiong
- Fong Kok Yong
17 Which of the following is (probably) the richest doctor in Singapore (by value of shares in publicly-listed healthcare companies)?
- Lee Hung Ming
- Loo Choon Yong
- Ang Peng Tiam
- Tan See Leng
18 Which of the following is FALSE about TTSH?
- The first location for TTSH was opposite SGH on Pearl’s Hill
- Tan Tock Seng, the person, was a Straits Chinese born in Singapore (he was born in Malacca)
- It set up the first rheumatology unit in Singapore
- It was originally called the Chinese Pauper Hospital
19 Which of the following is the odd one out in terms of employment history?
- Ang Yong Guan
- Paul Ananth Tambyah (The rest were all once “sign-on” regular SAF Medical Officers)
- Lam Pin Min
- Lim Wee Kiak
20 Which of the following statements about Gleneagles Hospital is FALSE?
- After refurbishment, it was opened by Mr Goh Chok Tong
- The hospital started out as Gleneagles Nursing Home
- It is 60 years old this year
- It is named after a valley in Scotland and the valley is populated by many eagles